Hello everyone! My name is

Hey all! If you’d like to introduce yourself reply to this thread.

What kind of music are you interested in? Are you new to the guitar or a lifelong student? What’s your favorite food?

Hey folks, my name is Blake and I am a former student of Miles. I play blues, rock and country music with my band in Maryland.

I’d love to see what other self-taught guitarists are doing here to improve their chops. My go-to’s right now are learning solos and songs, mostly by ear. I don’t do a lot of scale or arpeggio exercises, though I am not opposed. I just want to get a more holistic understanding of the instrument.

2 Likes

@eastriverbandblake Welcome Blake! Great ideas, I think this community can be a good space to compare guitar ideas and learning strategies. Look forward to checking out your band!

Heya! My name is Charlotte and I’m a total beginner at the guitar:) Excited to exchange tips and tricks for learning to play the guitar! I like music of all kinds and especially appreciate tunes that make me want to dance. And my favorite food- veggies from the brassica family.

2 Likes

Welcome @charlotte ! Congrats on beginning the guitar, and I’m glad to hear there are other brassica fans here :slight_smile:

I’m Jamie. I’ve been playing guitar for half my life and the other half I just wasted. I’m here to be of service to beginners and to back up Miles best I can.

2 Likes

Welcome @Jamie, thanks for your encouragement and support! I believe another word for the other half is wisdom?

1 Like

@Miles Even fools like me find scraps of wisdom in being a dumbass. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey folks! I’m Charlie, I’m a friend of Jamie’s (thanks for the invite man). I started playing guitar sometime during the Gerald R Ford administration; it was my mom’s idea, and she immediately regretted it :slight_smile:

I’m mostly a rock n roll guy but always looking to expand my horizons, and I’d love to hear what inspires you all. At a friend’s recommendation, I’m listening to a lot of Bill Evans; jazz is not really my thing but I have to say that “Gary’s Theme” is just an exquisite piece of music.

2 Likes

Welcome @Charlie, thanks for join us! I’m checking out Gary’s Theme now…

1 Like

With you on Bill Evans. Try “Peace Piece” if you haven’t heard it.

2 Likes

Hi all. I’m John F… Picked up a Gibson Epiphone guitar in the 60’s to accompany myself on folk songs, but dropped the vocals and focused on fingerstyle playing. Loved listening to and copied the assorted “Johns” (Mississppi John Hurt, John Fahey, John Renbourn, etc.). Did some (and continue with) DADGAD accompaniment in various Irish ensembles including the local BRIMS trad ensemble for a while. Somewhere along the way I picked up the nylon stringed instrument and the journey has gone through classical, a bit of flamenco, and local study with Berto Sales and Miles. Most recently worked out Miles’ Gatos de Lluvia which is an amazing solo and have had a hand in arranging tunes by Jobim. In short, a lot of breadth and not a lot of depth, but it’s all fun. Love listening to stylists in almost any genre.

2 Likes

Welcome @jfree76540! Thanks for joining us!

Buenas tardes! my name is Juan Benavides, I’m artist/musician, flamenco guitar is one of my interests among many, glad to be here to share ideas and music, thanks to miles for organizing this forum.

2 Likes

Welcome @chisquero! Thanks for joining us!

Hey y’all. I’m Brady. Not a disciplined guitarist, I like experimenting with finger picking and percussive effects toward the jazz end of the folk spectrum. Play mostly steel-string. Interested in in-person events only. Can’t make tomorrow’s hang but hope to get together with you at some future event. Cheers!

2 Likes

Welcome @Brady, thanks for joining us! Hope to see you at one of our in-person guitar hangouts soon.